Trying to get through the world every day without tripping over my own two feet.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Perfect Timing

Last week I was in that zone where just the tiniest thing set me off.  I get like that sometimes, when too many little changes come at me all at once.  On their own, they are small insignificant pecks that irritate me, and I brush them aside.  But pouncing on me as a collective, it's like I was mugged by an entire street gang.  And I don't know enough kung fu to survive.

To add to that frustrating week, J had to have minor outpatient surgery- very very minor.  But it still entailed him in pain, discomfort, and being heavily medicated.  (Sounds like a regular day for me.)  My normally Alpha Male husband was transformed into a small pouting child who needed mommy.  Napping on the couch, wanting an extra blanket, needing a glass of water, calling out for a pudding cup. Yes, really.  Three trips to the pharmacy, two extra trips to the grocery store because he had special dietary needs for the first few days.  Mind you I did all of this with love and joy in my heart, because he does the same for me, and I'm still after all these years so enchanted with him.  But the reality is I get frazzled beyond repair.

That first evening, going through the normal bedtime routine of turning on the porch lights for the night, I looked out the side door panel of glass to see a package on the front step.  We are both always ordering things off eBay or Amazon, so I figured it was just another delivery.  Imagine my delight when I brought the box in and saw the sender's name.  A new dear friend, who had hinted at me the week before that I should watch for something from her in the mail.  It was late, J was already struggling to make it to the bedroom, so I put the box on the dining room table.  The next day, tired, cranky, but with the ailing husband back to work, I headed off to yoga to unwind.  For the first time in a long time, I was not able to clear my mind and totally relax.  When it was time for Shavasana, while Snatam Kaur crooned about the deep blue sea, and my instructor softly implored us to listen to our breathing and just let go with each exhale- I just stared up at the ceiling thinking about stuff, life, chores, marriage, work, the world.  I couldn't shake it off that day, and left as stressed as when I arrived.

But when I got home, there was the box on the table with my new friend's name on the mailing label.  Inside, handwritten notes from my friend on some of the items, and a warm card.  A very cute notepad, because she knows I am a compulsive maker of to-do lists.  A beautiful tea cup, relaxing tea, and a gorgeous tea towel.  What a wonderful gift because as many coffee mugs as I have, I only have one sad little tea cup, chipped, brought home from the desk at my old job. There was the sweet bookmark with the bird, which I adore because I am usually reading 3-4 books at a time.  A candle that I immediately put up on the fireplace mantel and lit.  And of course chocolate, which I opened right away because I really really needed it that day.  How did she know!

It was as though I had packed the box for me!  Amazing how someone I've never met could peg me so well, and each gift was as thoughtful and meaningful as if I had shopped for myself.

The most special gift was a slender book.  I opened it and as soon as I read the introduction, my eyes welled up with tears.  I knew this book needed my undivided attention.  I read every page that afternoon, incredulous that the author was speaking so directly to me and describing me, my life, my heart, with perfect detail.  I was even more astounded that this little book was written a decade before I was even born.  Then I read the book a second time, and I read it as though I had written it about myself.  It could be my diary.  Who knew that women, couples, families struggled with the same emotions and feelings in the 1950's as they do now.  The world really hasn't changed that much after all.  People haven't changed.

And so I want to thank this new friend for her kind gifts, which came at a time that I needed and could appreciate them the most.  She will laugh that two minds think alike, because I have a very small gift ready for her as well, I was just waiting until I finished my current letter to her so I could mail them all in the same package.  Nothing extravagant, but I hope she will enjoy everything nonetheless.

Thank you dear friend!!

MISS GEE

No comments:

Post a Comment